Frequently Asked Questions

Please contact us with any other questions


What are we paying in the management fees?

Fees include fixed costs to the management company, including rent, telephones, computers, accounting software, fax machines, copy machines, pagers, insurance, or any modern office expense and labor costs. Total fixed costs plus labor costs and the profit margin divided by the number of homeowners yields the management company?s typical charge. Typically smaller communities pay more and larger communities pay less ?per door?.

What labor is included in the management fee?

Included with the fee is a community manager, someone who does the accounting, and any administrative staff (including a portion of the cost for a receptionist). Each group is responsible for multiple communities. Remember that the management fee pays for multiple employees to complete the services provided by the management company (the community manager does not get the entire fee) and the management company is in business to make a profit.

What is a homeowner's association?

A homeowners association is a community association living in a neighborhood where you and your neighbors share common property, amenities and services. Residents share enjoyment of them as well as the costs of preservation and enhancement. Most community associations are mandatory (vs. voluntary).


To understand how a community association functions, think of them like small municipalities ? they govern (have rules and penalties), conduct business (provide services like trash removal) and, similar to small towns in earlier eras, they often have parks, recreational facilities, etc. and social events. The members (homeowners) vote the decision-makers into office (Board of Directors) but, as in small towns, have no say in the day-to-day decisions made that effect their community.

What are the Governing Documents?

Few people like fine print or red tape, but there are several important documents homeowners need to be familiar with. Collectively, they are called governing documents. Individual documents differ depending on the type of association you live in. Governing documents provide the structure within which the board can work effectively. They guide board decision making and support association operations. Their greatest value, however, lies in the protections they provide to board members. Community association governing documents typically include several items in descending order of authority.

  • Articles of Incorporation: Create the corporation under state law and define the Association?s basic purposes and powers
  • Declaration or master deed, including Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions, or CC&Rs (in condominiums and planned communities): Regulates resident behavior. They bind all the owners to the Association, establish Association responsibilities, and define owner?s rights and obligations.
  • Bylaws: Contain provisions concerning actual association operations, such as meetings, procedures for electing board members and officers, and general duties of the board.
  • Rules and Regulations: Adopted by Board of Directors but must be consistent with the declaration, bylaws n, and state laws.

What is the Board of Directors?

The Board is elected to serve the association. That association is comprised of all the homeowners in the neighborhood, not just an exclusive few. This democratically elected governing authority is tasked with enforcing the covenants which are created for common good of the neighborhood. Although there may be parts of the covenants that cause inconvenience to some, they are there to promote conformity and harmonious living throughout the community.

If I am having a problem with a neighbor for a violation of the policies and guidelines, what can I do?

If residents cannot resolve a situation between themselves, then turn to your association. Should you have a situation that cannot be resolved through neighborly means, and you are willing to actively participate in the enforcement provided by the policies and guidelines, you may file a complaint with your management company. If the situation is deemed in violation of the policies and guidelines, the board of directors will institute the enforcement policy. Your continued assistance may be required.

What is my assessment?

An assessment is an owner?s financial obligation to the community association during a period of time. It covers the owner?s share of common expense. Occasionally, special assessments may be levied. A special assessment is a one-time assessment, often voted on by the owners to cover a major expense that was not included in the annual budget.

How does a homeowner make a payment online?

1. Go our website:

2. On the top right side of our page, click on, ?Make a Payment?.

3. That will take you to the Bank website, ?smartstreet?.

4. Click on, ?Online Payments,? at the top center of the page.

5. Choose Option 1, 2, or 3 as to how you want to make your payment. There is no fee to make an e-check payment. There is a $9.95 fee for each Credit Card payment and they do not accept Visa.

6. Account Information: In the white box type your partial Association Name and then click find. For example: If you live in, ?Happy Trail Village?, just type Happy and click find. Make sure you select the correct Community in which you live, including the correct City and S13tate.

7. Homeowner Account Number: If you have a coupon book, your Account Number is on the Coupon. If you do not, please call the Office at 317-545-0105 to get your Account Number.

8. Personal Information: Fill in your personal information with your name, address, city, state zip code, home phone number and email address.

9. Amount you want to Pay: type the dollar amount you want to pay in the white box.

10. Account Information: Fill in your Bank Accounts Routing Number (located at the bottom left corner of your check), and your Personal Account Number (located at the bottom center of your check).

11. Click on, ?Submit?, and you are done!